When is a bun a cupcake? I think the answer to that is -when it is decorated and made to look sumptuous. These little cakes are a gluten-free take on an old family recipe. It is so easy that even I can do it, and they are ready in less than half an hour.
The know-how was passed on from at least three generations ago, and was a firm favourite in the days, long, long ago when I used to have a regular baking day. A Thursday, as it happens, though for the life of me I can’t remember why.
- 4 oz margarine or butter
- 5 oz sugar
- 6 oz self-raising gluten-free Dove flour
- 2 eggs
- About 2 tablespoonfuls of milk
- pinch of salt
- teaspoon syrup
- Basically bung everything into a mixing bowl and beat well
- Add a teaspoon of syrup to moisten the mix
- When it reaches a dropping consistency put into bun tins
- Bake at 180C (350F) for 20 minutes
- Decorate and enjoy